Have you ever wondered what to do or who to call when you have an issue within the City of Richwood related to tall grass, abandoned or junked vehicles, illegal signs, etc.? If you have a question relating to any property within the City of Richwood or what's taking place on that property, the Code Enforcement Department is available to help answer your questions and work with you to solve the issue. If you have any questions regarding the information listed here or other procedures or violations regarding Code Enforcement, please call 979-265-2082 or email Kenny Williams

Many people are not exactly sure what to do when they have a complaint regarding a possible violation. If you are comfortable, talk with your neighbor or the property owner. Politely explain the situation and ask for their cooperation in resolving the problem. Many times people appreciate their neighbors contacting them rather than a Code Enforcement Officer. Use your own best judgment when dealing with your neighbors, and never interact with someone when either party is angry or out of control. If your "good neighbor" effort fails, call us. We are happy to discuss the situation and will explain what type of steps we will have to take in order to have violations corrected.

When you call, be prepared to provide the following information:

  • The specific type of complaint or nuisance.
  • Your name, address, and telephone number. This information is kept confidential and is especially important if you leave a message and we need to contact you for more information or clarification regarding your complaint.
  • Provide the exact location of the problem. We will need the house number and street name. If there is no address, please provide a description of the property and as much information regarding the location as possible, such as the corner of N. Mahan and Schley St.
  • Provide a brief description of the violation or complaint.
  • If your complaint is regarding a vehicle, then provide the license plate number, make, model, and color of the vehicle. State if the vehicle is on the street or private property.
  • If your complaint is regarding debris, then provide a brief description of the type of debris. Example of debris is: car parts, building materials, old tires, garbage, and the location where these items are stored on the property.

In addition, the City of Richwood Code Enforcement Department makes regular inspections throughout the City to identify potential violations.

If after an investigation of the problem, the Code Enforcement Officer finds that a violation has occurred or exists, further action will be taken to resolve the problem. This typically begins with the property owner receiving a written notice of the violation, with 7 to 10 days to correct the violation depending on the type of violation. The Code Enforcement Officer will re-inspect the property to confirm resolution of the problem. If the violation is not resolved by the deadline, then the property will be abated or the owner will receive a citation. With an abatement, the property owner will pay the cost of correcting the violation and if not paid, a lien may be placed on the property. If a citation is issued, the property owner must appear before the municipal court, which may levy penalties.

More often than not, violations are caused by lack of knowledge about codes and are easily and amenably resolved. Property owners will have the opportunity to discuss the violations and work in cooperation with Code Enforcement to correct problems that exist. If voluntary cooperation to correct the problem is not obtained, the Code Enforcement Officer can take the necessary steps to initiate prosecution of the violation through the legal system.

Every effort will be made by the Code Enforcement Officer to utilize diplomacy, tact and friendly persuasion to gain cooperation in compliance with the City Codes when a violation is found.

If we all work together as neighbors, we can maintain a beautiful and safe place to live, work, and visit.